Wednesday, June 27, 2012

June 26th, 2012 - 'Bout damn time


And so it begins……

Much has happened since I last wrote. None of it worthy of it’s own blog, so I haven’t really updated till now.

As I write this, the trailer is being readied for the road in 2 days.

We stored the trailer out on Leonard’s hobby farm in Chrysler for the winter. Putting it to sleep was easy, but the ground was very uneven and the trailer fell off the levelers as I took it off the hitch. Glad I was standing on the right side as it pulled away from the hitch or it might have taken me with it. The end result was that the fall damaged 3 of the 4 stabilizers. I propped it up as best I could and left it like that. It was balanced from the back and the hitch so it would be fine for the winter. Jean and I hung moth balls in open Ziploc bags from the frame and we parked the trailer on a tarp to keep the mice at bay. It was sad to leave it, but it will give us more room in the driveway.

We cleaned up the garage a bit and put the Cadillac away for the winter also.

I went back for the trailer in May, just before the long weekend. The weather has been really weird this year with one week at highs in the 30’s followed by teens with lows in the single digits overnight the week later. Not sure if camping is the best idea right now. Leading up to the long weekend it was freezing outside, then beautiful for the long weekend. Hard to decide, but we held off.

On the way to pick the trailer up, I realized I had forgotten the keys back home and had to turn back. We lost an hour and a half. When we picked it up it was in great shape. No mice or bugs (2 spiders). We pulled it out and folded up the tarp only to discover some mice had spent the winter under the tarp. Guess everything we did saved us a lot of problems.

Got it home and changed out the stabilizers. I ordered new ones over the winter. Got all the systems up and running and then started putting everything back in. Slowly but surely, it was getting closer to road ready and the excitement was starting to build. Still haven’t planned all of our adventures for this summer, but with a big one coming this weekend we’re just excited to hit the road.   

My next post will be in a few days from Southern Ontario.



No comments:

Post a Comment