Friday, August 19, 2011

Thursday August 17th



“Lookin’ out at the road rushing under my wheels,” – Peter Frampton


We decided to sleep in a bit. I set my clock, but snoozed it a few times. It was a restless night. We had a storm. The wind was shaking the trailer so much, I went on the internet to check the weather network to see if there was some kind of weather watch, but there wasn’t. Just lots of wind and rain.

Packing didn’t really seem to take that long. I flushed the black tank, so that took a little longer then usual. We were on the road about 12:00. We ended up stopping at Coastal Culture at Confederation Bridge for a few quick souveniers. The GPS said it would be 1:30am by the time we got home, so we decided to try to drive through. I was going to see how I felt by the time we hit the next campsite, but we were pretty determined to get home. To set up the trailer and break camp the next morning is a total of 4 hours minimum. If we go home, we save the 4 hours, plus we sleep in our beds, plus we wake up at home. Even if we sleep until noon, It still gives us 8 hours that we would otherwise still be in the truck for. We decided to go for it.

The drive was uneventful, but everytime we had to stop, it added on to our bottom line; and stop we did. Over and over. Coming back from Old Orchard was much worse, but this wasn’t easy either. In the end, we pulled onto the street about 3:00am. We got all the stuff we needed out of the trailer, then I levelled and unhooked the trailer. Went to bed about 4:00am.

I still can’t believe after all the hours of planning and research it’s all over. And summer is over. Hockey tryouts start this weekend and school is only a week away. Time to clean the trailer and get it ready for a long winter nap. The blog will be updated throughout the winter as I edit what is there already (it’s hard to remember all the details sitting at a picnic table at 1:00am in the rain and cold). I’ll be uploading all of our pictures to a Flickr account, so watch for an update on that.

I can’t wait to see where our adventures take us next summer.


Gord

Mileage: 4925kms
Average gas mileage: 9mpg
Total fuel used: 1291.6L


No comments:

Post a Comment