Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday August 13th




We made it! I was up just after 7:00 and did what I could before Guylaine got up at 8:00. Once she was up, it was go time. The kids all had a quick shower and breakfast, and we were pulling out at about 10:30. Just in time too. What a lousy campsite. The traffic didn’t stop all night, and I guess everyone was in the same boat as us, because everyone was out scrambling to pack up. (There’s nothing like being woken up from the sound of sway bars being connected.) When I asked the guy what time check out was yesterday, he made me feel like there was something wrong with us because we were checking out on a Saturday. But the four trailers behind us and 2 doors down all left about the same time, and I saw 4 others leave before us.

We decided to skip the museum and just get to the next campsite. MS Streets and trips says we’re 4 hours by ferry, but the kids are really looking forward to Confederation bridge, so we’ll add the hour to check it out. We were barely into the trip when the cries to go pee and we’re hungry started. It was going to be one of those trips. What should have been a 5 – 7 hour drive turned into an all day affair.

We were moving along pretty well when all of a sudden the traffic ahead slowed and we could see an accident in the road ahead. It was a little too far to see clearly, but we could pretty much guess it was a head on with a car and a transport.
Everyone was out of their cars trying to see what was going on. An older gentleman from Arizona who was pulling a fifth wheel in front of me came to ask if I knew a detour. He said one of the guys he was talking to had binoculars and saw someone put a blanket over a body. It was going to be a while before we moved. Luckily, there was a large gravel turn around right where I was parked, so I got into it and started heading back the other way. Cars were turning into a small gravel side road, and while I’m sure it would have saved us a ton of time, there was no way I felt comfortable heading down there with the trailer. We stuck to the highways and Danielle’s map and eventually found our way around. We needed supplies, but couldn’t really find anything close to the highway so we continued on.

We hit the Confederation Bridge about 5:30. The scenery is unbelievable. Like yesterday, I can’t capture the feeling of crossing this huge structure. Guylaine took pictures, but it just doesn’t do it justice. Once we got to the other side, you could see the red sand. Everywhere. If people pulled over on the side of the road, it was red where they pulled back on. We followed the GPS again, even though I was scared where it would take us. The roads here are very narrow and everyone drives 100kms/h.  And everywhere you look it's farmland. The road was rough in some parts and I was worried we’ve have nothing left in the cupboards by the time we got there. We ended up about 10 muinutes from the campsite and we really needed supplies. We had to detour and head into Charlottetown where we found everything we needed at WalMart except milk. Finally, we get to the campsite and there’s a convenience store right across the street. 

We checked in just after 7:00. Turns out, the owner of this camp is from Toronto, and spent a year in Alexandria. The pool closed at 8:00 and the kids had been jammed in the truck all day, so we did the bare essentials and drove back down to the pool. The guy there gave them a few extra minutes before getting them out at about 8:15. The kids decided they wanted to walk back to the campsite, even though it’s far. There’s a racetrack right next to the campsite, and it is LOUD. Guylaine brought the kids over to check it out while I set up and they all came back and wanted to go to the races. We hadn’t had supper yet, and they all needed a shower, so we told them if they hurried we’d go. By the time they were done, it was 9:30 and the races ended at 10:00. We decided instead to have some hotdogs and a fire. It was tough getting them to bed tonight.















I came out to write my blog while Guylaine tried to get Alex to bed, and a drunk neighbor came over to hit on me. Camping people are very special. Races, alcohol and large, drunken trailer park women. I think I’m going to like P.E.I.




No comments:

Post a Comment