Friday, May 17, 2013

Let’s try this again.


So…….lets get up to speed.

May long weekend. How did we get here?
About a month ago, Guylaine and I decided it was time for a bigger trailer, so we did the unthinkable; we put the trailer up for sale. Maybe it was too early in the season, or maybe nobody liked our price, but after 126 views on Kijiji, not one inquiry so we took it down.
It seemed to take a little longer to get the trailer ready this year. Not the plumbing and usual prep, but to get all the stuff stowed inside. Despite planning to spend double the time on the road this year compared to last, we just couldn’t get in the groove to get the work done. It was a lot easier this year having the trailer in the driveway instead of going to pick it up at Leonard’s. I liked having it at Leonard’s last year, but it was just so much more convenient this year. But we did prep it and load it and that’s why you’re reading this.
The original idea was to head to Wonderland for the long weekend in May. Chris and Dan had decided to come with us and stay in a hotel, but in the end they had other commitments and couldn’t come. We had planned to buy season passes and go to Wonderland Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday and again on Monday before heading back Monday afternoon. After looking at the associated costs (parking, can’t bring food or drinks in) we decided 2 days would be more then enough. The only problem with this plan was that there is no motivation to get an early start because we’d have nothing to do once we arrived. Because of this, we had no sense of urgency and ended up leaving really late. By the time all was said and done, it was 1:00 and we were still at home. I had forgotten to check the tires on the trailer, and because I had burned out my little compressor over the winter, I had to make a quick detour to Canadian Tire for a new one. My new neighbour has decided to dig out his entire back yard and has decided to leave all the dirt on the street in front of the house, and the guys he has doing this (by hand with a wheel barrel??) have used the street as their private parking garage, so there was little room for me to get the trailer down our street. Guylaine went in the house to get a few things we forgot (pillows) and I went to work on the tires. Too bad that the compressor I got runs on 12V but only has a 4 foot cord. I had to get the car out. And because the only place to park on the street was in front of my own driveway, I had no choice but to drive over the grass into the neighbour’s driveway and get out that way.
Long story short, it was close to 2:00 when we left.
First trip of the year is always a little shaky, and this is the earliest we’ve ever gone camping. It’s been old here all week and they are calling for single digit lows while we are away but the days look nice. My theory is that hell had started to freeze over because the Leafs had made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years; a theory not shared by my sister. I suppose it was just a coincidence that things started to warm up again after Boston knocked them out in the worst third period meltdown in NHL playoff history.
But I digress.
The ride was fairly uneventful, other then stopping every half hour for someone to pee. Still don’t have our groove. I feel like I’m starting a cold (Xavier has been sick all week) Wait…wasn’t I sick last time we went camping? We arrived just after 8:00 and everyone pitched in to set up camp. It was fun. Alex took charge of setting up our new screen house. It’s awesome. Guylaine made supper while I finished up outside. The kids are a bit too excited and had a hard time getting to sleep.
Let’s see how early we can get the show on the road tomorrow.
I’m already freezing!!
Only picture I managed to get today was a picture of the beautiful quarter moon………and the cell tower beside our campsite.
Better luck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment