Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sunday August 5th, 2012 - A hurricane is worse then this?



This was going to be an easy, relaxing day. Aren’t they all?

Everyone agreed last night that we were going to be sleeping in today, and sure enough everyone did. It was 9:45 when I hit the button on the coffee maker, and I was the first one whose feet hit the floor. As you can imagine from our previous track record, it took us a little while to get ready. We hit the road at about 1:00. Our timing was perfect, believe it or not, because the plan was to visit the Portland Head Lighthouse (ya I know….me and my lighthouses), then to head home for a late lunch and get to the beach to enjoy the late low tide again. Everything was going pretty good until we got to Fort William and realized that there was a lot of walking to do and Guylaine and I hadn’t brought our running shoes.
The lighthouse was amazing, but it also used to be a fort complete with gun batteries. It was pretty neat. We didn’t get to go into the lighthouse, but the views from all around it were spectacular.

We were supposed to head back to two towers state park where we had walked along the cliffs at Cape Elizabeth, but after having to carry Xavier through the parking lot for the last 50 yards, we decided it would probably be best to skip it.

We got home and made some lunch. The sun was out with a slight breeze, so we hung all of our wet stuff from the awning, then we changed and headed for the beach. From the time we left the campsite to the time we got to the beach (5 minutes?) the wind had picked up considerably and the dark clouds had started to move in. Everyone was coming up from the beach, but we decided to check it out anyways What a show? The surf was pounding. Only a handful of people were left at the beach and even though it was low tide the waves were huge and crashing on the shore. After standing in the water for a bit, the kids convinced me to go in. Was I ever glad  I did. The water was so warm, and it was a blast going in those waves. The only problem was that we were getting covered with pieces of seaweed and the larger pieces were wrapping around our feet. What we didn’t know was that it was also getting inside our bathing suits and an awful lot of it was going to end up coming home with us. Guylaine took pictures while I played in the surf with the kids. She called me out because she could see the rain coming down the beach. We made a run for it, but the rain started and it started hard. Guylaine ran to the car with the kids, I took some pails to the shower to rinse our feet. I was soaked anyways. I don’t know how strong the wind was, but between the wind the waves and the driving raid, I can’t imagine how bad it gets during a hurricane.

We got back to the trailer and the rain had not only soaked all of the stuff we had out, but it also took away the place we had to dry all the wet stuff we were wearing. Not a lot of room to hang stuff in our small trailer. We hung what we could and everone took a shower and played while we made dinner. Not much to do on a rainy night.

Alex and Guylaine started feeling lousy today. Hope they don’t have what I’ve got.






















No comments:

Post a Comment