It turns out (according to the locals anyways) that we've come to visit during a heat wave.
After much debate, we decided the only reason to go to Martha’s Vineyard was to see what all the fuss was about, and to say that we had been there, but there was really else nothing to do. We really feel like we haven’t done enough beach time, and the A/C in the truck still isn’t working. We really didn’t feel like being in the truck more then was absolutely necessary. As a result, we decided we were going to hit 2 beaches today; the first was the one we stopped at the other night that Guylaine had checked out, and the second was the beach at Nauset Lighthouse.
It is so hot and humid here, the A/C on the trailer is leaking water inside! Check the
pictures. I snapped one of the Caddy’s on board thermometer – 100F! And that’s without
the humidity. We got to Scusset beach and it was a hell of a walk to get to the water. The
boardwalk going over the dunes was really nice. The sand itself was so hot it burned our
feet as we tried to crowd our way into a spot. I set up the beach umbrella while Guylaine
and the kids checked out the water. I joined them only to find out that the beach is all
little rocks, (not fun for the feet), weeds, and it’s gotta be 45 – 50 degrees max. Alex’s
feet were numb after a few minutes. After not even 20 minutes, we decided to pack it in.
Guylaine renamed the beach 'suck it beach' (but mostly just because she can’t say ‘Scusset’).
We decided to head to Nauset We had a quick bite to eat and hit the highway. It’s only an
hour to Nauset, but it felt like we were in the truck for two. The weekend traffic has
started and the traffic is stop and go. When we got to the turn off, a sign at the road said
that the beach was full. We had to do something. There were no airconditioned ‘Wal-
marts’ or anything around here, and the kids were restless from being in the hot car all
morning, so we decided to take a chance. I drove up to the gate and asked the guy if he
had a spot as I had seen a few cars leaving. He said we were in luck as he usually had a
10 car lineup at that time of day. We parked and headed to the beach. It was packed. No
where near what the other beach was, but way more people then the other night when we
came here. And the tide was coming in instead of going out. The waves were huge! The
posted water temperature was 57F, but it felt like 87F with the heat. We didn’t get out of
the water the whole time we were there. Xavier was having a hard time because the surf
was so strong; especially the riptides. It was pulling the sand off of the beach and creating
a sandbar. You could feel a dropoff as you walked into the surf. I can see why they lose
30 feet of shoreline here every year.
We stayed until about 5:30. Everyone had a blast. The seals started to make an appearance again, and with
how deep the water was getting, we thought it best to pack it up. Xavier made sure to say
‘bye’ to the seals and the ocean before we left. (Then he slept all the way home) It was
the perfect end to our holiday.
We stopped to fill up the truck and pick up a few last minute treats, then we headed backto the campsite
and I cooked spagetti on the portable stove and garlic bread on the BBQ while Guylaine tried to get all of the
sand off everybody. We lit a fire fairly early, and I managed to burn all of the wood I bought. We let the fire
die down and put the kids to bed, then Guylaine and I came out to enjoy the fire She cooked weiners and
marshmellows (I drank beer). It was early night tonight.
This is my last post from Cape Cod. I love showing you all what we're up to, but it sure is a lot of work.
Between downloaded, selecting and resizing pictures, then writting, and finally posting, each of these
probably takes me 2 hours. I'm looking forward to a night off.
We packed up what we could tonight, including the awning, patiolights and carpet. Tomorrow Guylaine will
get the kids ready while I pack up the trailer. The goal is to be out by 10:00. I know it will take at least 12
hours to get home, so don’t expect a post about the ride home until at least Sunday night. With any
luck it will be uneventful and boring and not worth reading anyways. <BG>
No comments:
Post a Comment