Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sunday July 3rd – Maybe I need a boat















The weather didn’t look so great today, so we decided to look for the lighthouses I had found on Microsoft Streets and Trips. We drove to Cape Elizabeth to check it out. Of course, the GPS is still not functioning properly so we have to rely on the laptop which is not really accurate. We got to where the lighthouse was supposed to be and while we could see it, we couldn’t get to it and where we were it was nearly impossible to turn around. We did manage to back up, and lo and behold, the backup camara is now fully functional. I knew there was supposed to be a second lighthouse, and I thought it might be at the State Park we had passed, so we decided to check it out. It cost us almost $17 to get in and it turned out to be an old defene site called Two towers for the two defence towers that were used to triangulate the position of enemy ships. Not at all what I was looking for. (Note to self – better research if you’re going to make the kids sit in the car for any length of time.)  All was not lost though. The view from this coastline was spectacular and we hiked the trails around the park for about 2 hours. It was simply breathtaking. The kids were getting a little too close to the edge which also took our breath away a little bit. We kept looking for the lighthouses after the park. I was getting a little nervous because we were running a little low on gas, but we eventually did find them. They are side by side and have no access to the public. After all of that, we can`t even go to them!

The weather still hadn`t cleared, so I asked the kids if they wanted to try to go south to try to find the other lighthouses I read about at Wood Island and Goat island. Everyone was game, so we back tracked to a gas station where I found out that 2 of our credit cards were declined (note to self – call the credit cards to let them know you will be out of the country so they don`t suspend the cards), one card is missing, and in the US debit and credit cards are the same. Gas pumps do not recognise debit cards. I went in where they had an ATM, and I took out enough for a fill up. We headed south (got slightly lost again. Hard to read the laptop while I`m driving, and the roads are so narrow you can`t pull over anywhere.) We went to where the lighthouses were on my map. We drove around Biddeford Pool, a beautiful cape jutting out into the ocean. No lighthouses. Turns out (after Guylaine asked an older couple) that the lighthouses are on islands and only accessable by boat. So much for visiting lighthouses. At one point I think was on a cart path crossing a golf course trying to find the lighthouse. But the scenery and homes here are right off of a postcard, and despite the fact that we never did get to a lighthouse, the kids never complained (other then the occasional `I gotta pee!`). We had to head back to Walmart (again). Then back to the campsite. It had warmed up a bit and the rain had stopped, so I made eggs and toast outside while Guylaine did the bacon inside and the boys prepared the campfire. After we ate, we did sparklers by the fire and sat and let the last of out wood die down. I think the whole trip was summed up when Sammy got up from his chair and headed to the trailer for bed on his own, stating `Sammy`s done!`
Guylaine and I stayed up and went through the pictures. I got a few things up on the blog (sorry it will get better as I get the hang of it).

We`ve got a big day tomorrow, so I tried not to go to bed to late, but I wanted to take in as much as I could before we head home. I packed what I could to lighten the load for tomorrow and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment