Friday, July 22, 2011

Let's go surfin' now, everybody's learning how......

Today’s adventure has us heading south for some surf and some sand.

A year ago or so when Guylaine and I started looking at places we could visit, we came across a small beach stretching out into the sea just north of the Long Island Sound. It looked amazing and we decided if we ever had the chance to go, we would. At only 2 hours away from  Cape Cod, it seemed like the right thing to do.

The weather was overcast, with a lot of fog. It is so humid here. Everyone knows how Guylaine and I like our air conditioning. It’s been going full tilt since we got here. But because the beds at the ends of trailer are basically tents, the air does little to cool or dry the sleeping areas. It’s so humid here I thought I was going to have to go out to squeegee the trailer. It was soaked. The fog was so thick when we went to cross the Bourne bridge you could barely make out the top of it from the rotary. We passed through some beautiful places on the drive. Others, not so beautiful. (Sorry Providence and Falls River).
And of course, no trip outside of the campground would be complete without a trip to WalMart. This one in Westerly, RI. Not bad, but some of the stuff cost more there then other WM’s we’ve been to.
We passed on shore road close to the beach. Mansions cannot begin to describe the homes that are here. Definitely didn’t feel out of place with the Escalade. We got to the beach and parking was free, but with a 2 hour limit. I’m not sure how they know when you get there because there wasn’t even an attendant to check. Anyways, lots of parking available so no worries. The parking is located right at the yacht club, so some of the cars and people we saw there sure looked like money. We had to walk quite a ways to the beach but it was all worth it. This beach was spectacular. The wind was really strong, and the surf was really high. The water was cold. But the kids had a blast. The only real drag was that all the wind and surf was bringing in a ton of seaweed. The beach was covered in it, and it would wrap around your legs as you waded through the water. It was the first time Xavier had no interest in swimming. Still, the unbelievable landscape made up for it. Sam and I walked on a trail through the dunes to a beach on the other side (this piece of land juts out into the ocean and is surrounded by water). The water on this other beach was warm, but the beach was all little rocks; very uncomfortable on the feet. On the way back to the car we found all kinds of dead jellyfish as well, so probably best we didn’t go.
The wind was so strong, that on our way back, Sammy and I discovered that our footprints had already been blown over. And we were only gone 10 minutes. We left the beach by 6:30 and after the 15 minute walk out to the truck, Katrina realized she had forgotten all the shells she had been collecting and she was very upset. Guylaine took her back to the beach while I got the boys lined up for the truck. There are no showers here to rinse off, so I did the best I could with bottled water and got them loaded in the truck. I drove as close to the beach as possible and we waited for the girls. We left about 7:00. On the way someone yelled 'nice truck'. 

With about half an hour to go, the boys couldn’t hold it anymore, so we had to pull over for them.
We got home and they showered while I cooked burgers and Guylaine put away all the Wal-Mart crap. Sam went to bed right after supper, and the others were not far behind. We are all starting to get tired from all the running around, but it is sooooooo worth it.
It was too damp and windy for a fire (again). Too bad I dropped $14 on wood we have yet to use. Tomorrow is the last night, so I plan to start the fire early and keep the flames high.





































No comments:

Post a Comment